Friday 8 July 2016

'A Commoner And Priestess Fell In Love'

A commoner and priestess fell in love,
a love that did oppose laws from above.
A lowly man was he, a white cloth tainted,
and she a blessèd, holy woman, sainted.
One day, he left on voyage to the seas,
which caused his virtuous love to feel unease;
and fair for her to feel so: had he fell
under the charming sea-maids', sirens' spell.
Thus jealous Heaven was not pleased with this,
(this sinner had but stolen Heaven's bliss!)
so from titanic fissures in the sky
descended saints in vessels that could fly.
When he returned, she was no longer there;
she'd left to, with the Angels, God knows where.


16/05/16

Poet's Notes

No particular political context to this piece; I was simply inspired to write this short story during the summer of 2015. I wrote the final couplet but never again touched it until the 16th of May 2016, the same day I finished it. A simple tale it is of a man who falls into temptation and the pull of lust, losing his perfect partner in life. I guess I always felt that men were more susceptible to these sinful deeds than women. 

I had originally intended this to be a sonnet, but I felt that the rhyme scheme of couplets made it sound more akin to an epic poem, making the tone more narrative.  

No comments:

Post a Comment