Tuesday 21 June 2016

'Aphrodite Incarnated'

Aphrodite incarnated,
catalyst of lust elated,
muse of Eros animated,

waked I praise Thee and while dreaming
under bright Diana gleaming.
Let me try Thine heart redeeming,

let me feel Thy soft lips kiss me;
let Thee, Lady, grant Thy bliss me;
pray Thee never, Love, dismiss me.

I am but Thy gracious peasant
serving Thee past, future, present.
Bless me with Thy pleasure pleasant. 

As my body doth expire,
let me write Thy name in fire;
may the world Thee love inspire.

By this prayer may mercy grant me;
never may with passion taunt me;
by my praises, pray Thee want me.


16/05/16

Poet's Notes

The inspiration for the metre used in this prayer-poem is from the Latin Requiem, and I feel it works as the trochaic rhythm gives the poem a sense of sighing, appropriate because of the beseeching tone of the poem.

I personally know how it feels to be drawn by an Aphrodite, seduced and made a slave to her, intentionally or not on her part. This poem is meant show how my heart glorifies such an idol and importunes her for any sense of reciprocated affection. When I wrote this, I was still under such a spell, and I guess this was a way to purge myself of such sorcery. I still love the person who inspired this poem as a friend, but I don't think I want myself to be drawn to her as I used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment