Tuesday 26 April 2016

'I Cry, And Yet You Do Not Seem To Know'

I seek, and yet you slowly shy aside;
I speak, and yet you seem t'have much to hide;
I reach, and yet you from me do recede;
I try, and yet you let me not succeed;
I wish, and yet you will my wants away;
I hope, and yet you have not heart to pray;
I care, and yet you no affection show;
I cry, and yet you do not seem to know;



?/?/15


Poet's Notes

I remember bringing in this poem into my poetry club one week and pretending I found it on the internet by a poet named Vittoria Prelati (before I openly had this name on a blog/public/etc.), and convinced them to analyse and annotate it as practice for their literature examinations. Incredibly enough, they found a lot of the techniques I had consciously used and many more that I might have subconsciously - they even called me egocentric without being aware that it was mine own poem. Anyway, that was just some trivia about this poem.

Writing this poem was easy as they were completely genuine emotions - I wasn't even creating anything, rather I was translating what I felt into words. At the same time, writing this poem was hard, because to me, it represents the rejection I felt at the time. Although it is general enough to be widely applicable, the reason I wrote it was a huge blow in my life, paralyzing me for weeks on end. Poetry was my only solace, and this is what resulted of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment